Most Common Questions

What is the difference between an armorer and a gunsmith?

An armorer specializes in a few makes and/or models of firearms and may be factory certified to diagnose and repair problems with those firearms using manufacturer supplied parts. By only working on certain firearms using factory approved/ manufactured parts, armorers can limit liability exposure. Often the armorer’s goal is to restore a firearm to a manufacturer’s specifications. A gunsmith, like Marc at Fredric’s Arms, works on all makes and models of firearms, new and old, in and out of warranty, and can, when needed, manufacture parts to effect repairs. A gunsmith can customize of firearms or restore factory defaults, as well as work on the fit and finish of firearms including, bluing, Parkerizing, checkering, etc. The breadth and depth of knowledge for a gunsmith are extensive and demand the ability to diagnose and remedy a broad array of problems covering many firearms’ designs, platforms, and operations. A gunsmith also takes into consideration differences in ammunition, sighting systems, and individual shooting preferences in working on firearm for a client.

Do I need to make an appointment to visit your shop?

We are open Tuesday-Friday from 2-6 and Saturday from 12-4 so an appointment is absolutely necessary outside of those times. If you want to discuss having a custom firearm made we would recommend making an appointment at any time, though, so we can ensure we have some time set aside for you, as we often get quite busy. If you wish to bring in a firearm for repair, come any time the shop is open.

What is the difference between an armorer and a gunsmith?

We certainly can. We can make it a unique color, a unique fitting, a unique design…we can even have it engraved. We would be happy to discuss your options for personalizing your firearm.

It seems like every firearms retailer has a sign saying “All Sales Are Final.” Why is that? What if I have problems with my firearm purchase?

Firearms sellers are exactly that: retailers of firearms. They are not repair facilities. They do not do warranty or service work. That leaves a gun owner with two choices: send the firearm back to the manufacturer for repairs, or seek the services of a gunsmith. Rarely is a new firearm sold that is so defective that it does not function correctly. If that is the case, the gun should be returned to the manufacturer for replacement or repair under the terms of the warranty. More often gun owners have an issue with the operation of a new or used the firearm. It may need repair or cleaning and inspection or, while it may be within factory specifications, is not reliable, accurate, comfortable, or in other ways meeting the needs or expectations of the owner. We can help with these concerns in a timely and affordable fashion. We can also determine if a firearm is so damaged or in such disrepair that it cannot be restored to a safe condition and let the owner know that it should not be fired.

What do Fredric’s Arms gunsmith services cost and how are those costs calculated?

Similar to other types of technical or skilled craft work, gunsmiths charge an hourly rate and multiply that dollar amount by the time it takes to do the work. Parts and materials are in addition to that hourly rate. We charge $60 an hour for most work. For standard repair work, clients will be given a cost estimate based on the time, including inspection, and materials required to complete the work. Custom design and fabrication work usually takes longer than standard repairs and the costs would increase accordingly. Custom parts may also increase the cost of the project.

What does it mean that Fredric’s Arms is a factory certified DuraCoat® finisher?

DuraCoat® is a coating system that requires factory training and equipment to be correctly applied. Our gunsmith is trained and certified by the manufacturer to properly apply these finishes to firearms so that they provide the optimum protection, durability, and quality appearance demanded by the DuraCoat® brand.

What is a firearm transfer?

A firearms transfer is needed when a firearm is purchased from out of state or from an internet site. Shotgun and rifles may be purchased in person while out of state provided the firearm complies with the laws of both the vendor’s and the purchaser’s states. It is called a “transfer” because any firearm not purchased in person from out of state and any handgun whether purchased in person or, say on an internet site, needs to be shipped to a licensed dealer in the buyer’s area who then transfers the firearm to the purchaser. In the case of a handgun, the transfer cannot be completed until the licensed dealer has performed a NICS background check confirming the purchaser is eligible to purchase the weapon. Once the NICS check is done, there is a waiting period before a handgun can be picked up, unless the buyer has a Concealed Pistol License. Rifles and Shotguns may be picked up immediately.

What is a Concealed Pistol License?

By law, you must have a concealed pistol license (CPL) when you are:

Carrying a pistol concealed on your person.
Carrying or placing a loaded pistol in a vehicle.

  • Carrying a pistol concealed on your person.

  • Carrying or placing a loaded pistol in a vehicle.

Concealed pistol licenses are recognized only in states with concealed weapon reciprocity. Handguns must be carried in accordance with the law of the state you’re visiting. Be sure to check the laws of the other state before traveling there with your handgun. See your local law enforcement agency or State Department of Licensing for details on applying for a CPL.

Can Fredric’s Arms and Smiths tell me the value of my firearm?

While Fredric’s Arms is not a firearms appraiser, Marc can give a reasonable market value for many firearms.


1904 Airport Way

Richland WA, 99352

P: 509.943.5355 



Website by Big Nose IND, photos by ASI Productions. Mobile awesomeness built useing Webflow